There are four Londons all existing simultaneously separate: grey (dull) London, Red (fun magic) London, White ( scary magic) London and Black( so scary we don’t talk about it) London. Kell is one of the last people who can travel between the various Londons. Lila Bard is an aspiring pirate seeking adventure. Adventure ensues.
Things I Loved:
- Lila the aspiring pirate. And her costume.
- Kell and his coat.
- Rhy. Just Rhy.
- (Characters were definitely on point, if you couldn’t tell).
- London, but not only one London but FOUR. AND MAGIC.
- No insta-love!! Or mushy romance in general!
- The writing in general. There could be a scene where nothing was really happening and I was still enraptured.
- Can we talk about Kell’s coat because that would be so nice to have. “Oh look it’s raining, let me just go to the raincoat setting…”
Things I liked, not loved:
- I wish there was a more prominent villain early on. I want to know who to blame. (But the second half 100% made up for it.
- I can’t think of any thing else. Why did I even make a section for parts I didn’t love?
What did you think about A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC? Do you want Kell’s coat as much as I do?